Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

My Blog


What to Do If the Other Parent Isn't Paying Their Child Support Obligation

Posted on June 9, 2015 at 7:01 PM

What to Do If the Other Parent Isn’t Paying Their Child Support Obligation

First, Get It in Writing!

In all fifty states, child support obligations are created by court orders. You probably got your child support order as part of a divorce or previous child custody/child support case. Even if you didn’t go to court in person—which can happen in cases where the parties reached an out of court stipulated agreement, there should still be something in writing. That’s your starting point. Even if you’d rather resolve the issue out of court, a court order gives you something to legally enforce. That’s leverage.

If you never made a formal written agreement with the other parent, it’s time to go to court. Without anything in writing, there’s literally nothing to enforce. A government child support enforcement agency, in New Mexico we have the New Mexico Child Support Enforcement Division can often help you get an order, or you can hire an attorney.

Are you able to talk to the other parent? You don’t have to start by talking with the other parent—but based upon years of experience, I certainly recommend that you try. Negotiating is quicker than any collection effort, less likely to create bad feelings and far cheaper than a court case. For those reasons, it’s usually in the best interest of the children. But don’t do this if you can prove your ex is lying about his or her finances, when there’s a pattern of domestic violence or other abuse, or a history of deceit. 

Even if you do agree on changes to your written agreement, you should spell them out and get your agreement approved by a judge. Remember, if there’s no court order, your rights under the new agreement aren’t enforceable. Attorney fees for an uncontested change in a support order should be relatively modest.

If the other parent can’t pay the full monthly amount, agree to accept at least partial payment. Not that you want to let them off the hook completely, but something is better than nothing. And if they are genuinely cash-strapped, it may be better for everyone if he or she gets the child support reduced. You can always modify the obligation in the future when circumstances warrant.

All states have anti-retroactive modification laws. That means that a modification of child support can't be made retroactive beyond the date of the filing of a motion in court. There are of course exceptions. In New Mexico retroactive child support can be ordered in cases where a Petition to Establish Parentage has been filed pursuant to the New Mexico Uniform Parentage Act. 

So let’s say you have a court order establishing a child support obligation compelling the other parent to pay you and you know want the Court to enforce it. How do you do that? You must file a motion to enforce child support order. There may be other procedural motions that must be filed as well. Nevertheless, the main motion is the motion to enforce.

Once you are in front of the judge and if you are successful your motion will be granted and you will have an order enforcing payment of child support. At this point you can ask the judge to help you garnish the other parent’s wages. The judge signs off on a wage withholding or garnishment order which you will then need to present to the other parent’s employer(s). Your state child support enforcement office can also help you. Of course in serious cases, you might ask the judge to incarcerate the other parent for contempt of the court order.

In some states there are mechanisms for levying a lien against the other parent for outstanding child support. Other states provide for criminal sanctions. The federal Deadbeat Parent Punishment Act can also be used in all fifty states. You might also be successful in intercepting their tax refunds.

You can contact the Office of Child Support Enforcement which is part of the Administration for Children and Families within the United States Department of Health and Human Services. This program is a federal mechanism which can assist you. There is also the United States Inspector General’s office.

The U.S. Office of the Inspector General (OIG) can intervene in child-support cases where the non-custodial (paying) parent lives in a state other than where the child lives, and:

  • refuses to pay child support for over 1 year
  • where the amount owing is more than $5000, or
  • where the non-custodial parent travels to another state or country to avoid paying child support.

The punishment include fines and up to 6 months in prison (or both) for a first offense. For a second offense, or where child support hasn’t been paid for more than 2 years, or the amount owing is more than $10,000, the punishment is a fine of up to $250,000 or 2 years in prison, or both. 

One caveat to all of this and that is consider the following…If you have the non-custodial parent’s driver’s license, or professional licenses suspended it will be extremely difficult for them to get to work or even keep their present jobs or professions. If you have them arrested they certainly cannot work. If they cannot work, they cannot pay you child support.

One last point to consider, if you help maintain the other parent in your kids’ lives, if you allow for co-parenting, the non-custodial parent is more likely to want to pay their child support obligation. Right or wrongly, they will feel they are getting something for their money. Co-parenting is a good thing and it’s most cases in your child’s best interests

Categories: child support, family law

Post a Comment


Oops, you forgot something.


The words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again.


Reply Carrie
3:50 PM on June 10, 2015 
Owes $50k. Nevers pays. Works on various commercial fishing boats. State of oregon says nothing they can do. Very frustrated as we mother of 3 are struggling.
Reply Mila
9:51 PM on April 24, 2016 
In the event that you never made a formal composed concurrence with the other guardian, it's an ideal opportunity to go to court. Without anything in composing, there's truly nothing to uphold. An administration tyke bolster requirement organization, in New Mexico we have the New Mexico Child Support Enforcement Division can frequently help you get a request, or you can procure a lawyer. Thank you so much.
Reply Stock Trading Tips
12:33 PM on June 14, 2016 
Fantastic web site. Plenty of helpful information is here. I am sending it to several friends and also sharing in delicious way. And of course, thank you to your sweet post!......
Reply joker
6:42 AM on July 26, 2016 
Carrie says...
Owes $50k. Nevers pays. Works on various commercial fishing boats. State of oregon says nothing they can do. Very frustrated as we mother of 3 are struggling.

window 81 ultimate product ket free , product key windows vista sp2 , buy windows 81 key , home premium to ultimate anytime upgrade key , windows 81 home premium activation key free , rRw5<&*z
Reply Write my college essay for me
6:37 AM on April 13, 2017 
The theme of who would declare him on their taxes was not addressed at the most recent investigation and my ex requirements to be able to persist to claim him since he's self working.
Reply essays for me
9:13 PM on October 30, 2017 
I am 100% at your back for this road safety forum you are having. It's a great way of instilling to the people the value of safety when on the road and thus, preventing any accidents from happening. In our country, the rate of minor road accidents seems to rise so this forum would be helpful especially if attended by people mainly using the road for transportation.
Reply www
7:48 AM on November 10, 2017 
Great site!
Reply www
6:33 PM on December 4, 2017 
Great site!
Reply www
6:35 PM on December 4, 2017 
Great site!
Reply top 5
9:22 AM on December 9, 2017 
Great content!
Reply website
9:28 AM on December 9, 2017 
Great site!
Reply website
3:35 PM on December 30, 2017 
Great site!
Reply website sizegenetics
3:49 PM on December 30, 2017 
Great site!
Reply website
11:33 AM on January 1, 2018 
Great job!
Reply www
3:28 PM on January 1, 2018 
Great site!
Reply website
3:45 PM on January 1, 2018 
Great article!
Reply website
11:57 AM on February 3, 2018 
Great article!
Reply enhancement
3:20 PM on February 3, 2018 
Great article!
Reply enhancemnet
3:32 PM on February 3, 2018 
Great contnet!
Reply top 5 enhancement
3:48 PM on February 3, 2018 
Great article1

I'm a paragraph. Click once to begin entering your own content. You can change my font, size, line height, color and more by highlighting part of me and selecting the options from the toolbar.